Sunday, May 22, 2011

Being a Crown


In the Bible, a crown is used to set something apart or as a symbol of honor. A crown is often associated with glory, such as in Proverbs 4:9, Proverbs 16:31, and I Peter 5:4.

Proverbs 12:4 - A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.

I'd never thought about me being a crown to my husband. Proverbs 12:4 sure says I can be. But only if I'm virtuous. So I'm flipping over to Proverbs 31 for the virtuous woman directions...

Here are some of the qualities of a virtuous woman found in Proverbs 31:
  • Be able to accomplish what I set out to do
  • And do it well
  • My husband can trust me with his heart
  • He can trust me to help him with his work
  • Do good for my husband, not evil
  • Be a diligent and willing worker
  • Provide good quality food for my family
  • No laziness or idleness allowed
  • Be willing to get up early and stay up late to complete my tasks
  • Make quality items to sell
  • Help the poor and needy
  • Make sure my family has good quality clothes and blankets to keep warm
  • I will be known for my strength, honor, wisdom, and faithful advice
  • Fear the Lord.
I must admit, some of these are easier than others. Some not so much. I've always looked at Provebs 31 as a woman who does things I could never do, but she sure does fascinate me! So this time when I went through, I tried to put it in goals that seem at least somewhat attainable to me.

Women, what are some things you have done that help you in your quest to become a virtuous woman?

Men, what are the things you look for most when looking for a virtuous woman?

This is something I am praying about and working on every day. Being a crown to my husband sounds like a wonderful honor, and I really want to be one for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment