Thursday, December 3, 2009

Children's Church/Children's Bible Hour

Many churches now cater to many groups of people and do things they think might bring in more people.  One of the things I have seen in more and more churches is having a separate place for children to go during the worship assembly.  This is a place where the children are sometimes entertained or sometimes given a Bible lesson on their level.  There are many arguments for having Children's Church or Children's Bible Hour or whatever it's being called.  We should always look to the Bible to see what it says about something before we accept it as something good.

The Bible states on many occasions that all the people are to come together in one place for worship.  Not part of the people (Nehemiah 8:4-6, I Corinthians 11:20, I Corinthians 11:33-34, I Corinthians 14:23, I Corinthians 14:26, Hebrews 10:25).  We are supposed to assemble together, not in separated groups.  God demands we come together.

I have heard it said that all moms need a break, and sending children to Bible Hour will give mom a break so she can hear the sermon and pay attention better.  They sound like noble goals on the surface.  It is the parent's responsibility to teach children to worship God, be quiet and respectful during worship service, and show proper awe and respect for God.  If children can be taught to behave in Bible classes, then they can certainly be taught to behave in the worship assembly.

Shouldn't the children be able to benefit from having a lesson on their level?  Of course!  That is exactly why there are Bible classes.  But Bible classes are not part of the worship assembly where we are all to gather together.

What about the children of visitors?  They don't know how to behave.  No, not yet.  Any child can be taught.  Children learn by being in the worship service.  Sending them away to Children's Church deprives them of what they should be learning.  Parents should be bringing their children up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4).  Not being in the worship assembly keeps children from learning and developing the discipline to sit still, to concentrate, and to have a longer attention span.  Worship services teach children what worship is.  Children learn by teaching, observation, and experience.  The worship services are a place where children learn what true, good, sound preaching is all about.

They also learn that worship is NOT entertainment.  If we train them in Children's Bible Hour that they can expect to be entertained during worship, why are we surprised when they don't do things decently and in order as adults (I Corinthians 14:40)?

The adults that are teaching the children are in no better shape.  They are often nothing better than glorified baby sitters, and they are being forced to forsake the assembly (Hebrews 10:25).

There is no right way to do a wrong thing.

3 comments:

  1. There are many drawbacks to "children's church". One that comes to mind is that a child can learn from mom, dad, mamaw, and papaw when it comes to Communion. I remember seeing my mother shed tears to the point of weeping before she drank of the cup. I often wondered as a child why it would hurt her so to drink a cup of grape juice. Because I was there watching...I was able to understand and appreciate what she was going through as she would examine herself. I'm glad that I was in the assembly. Good article...keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have read what you have written here. This sort of thing has been on my heart and my husbands for a very long time. Not only is it completely un biblical, it is not right for the children to be placed with random people that can influence them in any way they choose, while they are all "alone" Here is an article that really stood out to me a few years back. Its a little long but it hits hard, in my opinion.

    http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2005/march/07/sanctuary/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like to read No Greater Joy and also enjoyed their book To Train Up A Child. Thank you for posting that link for others too!

    ReplyDelete