Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Appropriate Punishment and Training

How should a parent punish a child for locking a younger sibling in the dark bathroom?  Then, and more importantly, how should the child be better trained?

1 comment:

  1. Savannah did that before. I went in the bathroom with her and turned out the lights and asked her how she felt. I then asked her how she would feel if she were all alone and did not know how to get out or if she even could get out. (I think her actual punishment was she did not get to watch the TV show she was looking forward to..honestly she does so much that has to be punished I forget which punishment went with which)

    It worked for a little while. Then I think she forgot and she did it again. As far as how to get them not to do ti again..I think that depends on the child. If Ian (my 2 year old) is punished once for something he never does it again. He does not even need punishing much. If you tell him that him doing something makes you sad, he usually does not do it again. Savannah on the other hand will do things she KNOWS is wrong and not worry about the results of her actions. She knows a punishment will come and she will not like it, but all she is worried about is what she wants right at that minute. She will even admit this..so she is harder to "train". (She has a medical condition though that puts her at higher risk for such behaviors, but I still can't ignore them)

    I guess what I am saying is you have to look at him and decide how he learns best and what punishment he will remember the most and not want to happen again (within reason of course) and take it from there.

    ReplyDelete